Sunday, July 1, 2012

Rose Oil


Floral In Progress

I am so excited to be posting again!  I have  contnued to paint sporatically and completed some lovely pieces, but the blogging fell by the wayside.  I am sorry to those of you who had started following my work and I will try to be diligent in posting from here forward.

This is a lovely pair of roses I photographed at the Washington DC botanical gardens.  The warm late afternoon sun highlighted the pair beautifully.....these are just the start to a new series of large florals I have planned.   This one is   x   in size.

I paint a lot of my oil florals in a manner similar to watercolor.  I start off with most areas lightest to mid range in color, always at least one level lighter then the finished color area....except of course the white.  I complete the entire painting and let it dry.  I use glazes to complete the rest of the layers, by deepening the mid ranges and also include another glazed layer to the darkest areas.  Often times I use a warmer color in this layer.  I keep adding layers, only workiing the areas that need deepening.  Last comes the details, and brighest thicker white for interest, and sometimes an insect or dew drops for interest or to lead the eye to a certain element of the painting.

For those of you not familiar with this technique, a glaze is a thin, transparent layer of color that lets the layers underneath glow through.  Every layer deepens the color and creates depth that rivals all other techniques.

As you can see this one is off to a great start.  I hope you will continue to follow the progress of this flower as it unfolds, and as always enjoy your journey in life my friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by