Thursday, September 4, 2014

New Style of Art for Me

Hi to all of my faithful followers.  There are still a few of you left.  I am not sure why, but thank you.

The past 2 years after my brain tumor surgery left me struggling with my life and truly with my art abilities!  I have not depth perception.  I did a number of things and looked and and even tried a couple of business ventures, but it left my art heart struggling and sadly not fulfilled.  I am sure some of you can relate.  I met (in the strangest of ways) a lady who talked about chalk paints and my art and on and on.  I was a little intrigued, but once again my health issues ran interference and there I was, just, well there.....if there is anywhere but the middle of nowhere!
Ok, Ok, I will get on with the information.......I did finally get a chance to look at chalk paints and man did my art imagination run Wiiillld!!!  And Shabby Chic Chalk Paints was born.....along with the Simply Elegant Chalk line.
You can find me (around Sept. 12) at my Shabby Chic Chalk Paints home, my new blog, or Pinterest.
Currently, I am selling the chalk paint additive for the quart size paint.  This means you get to choose your color from whoever you want....and at whatever price point you choose and then go to town with the paint on your furniture!  Please check with hubby (or wifey) first.  I refuse to answer angry emails!  lol   For those of you that do not know about chalk paint, well I am going to rock. your. world.....


Here is a table I am working on.  This is it's first coat....and my own color of turquoise that I will be marketing soon, along with many others.....okay, Deb, take a breath.  lol and yes that table is veneer. I have created a product that you use on the first layer that binds to the surface and it is holding up.  It is not coming back up as soon as it dries.  Other chalk paint companies tell you that it may work if you cure the paint for 30 days....30 days?  I don't know about you, but I don't like leaving potential sales (in this case furniture) sitting for 30 days.  So, I set out with my art knowledge to create a product that would bind to the surface.  I am so excited this is working.
So back to my beginning with chalk paints and what I was so enamored with.....all the color combination possibilities, the look the chalk paint creates, and my ideas of what I could do.....let me start at the beginning of this process and give you a brief overview of how it works.  Please remember to go to my sites for more info or email me specific questions so I can help you.
- Take a piece of furniture.  Antiques with neat curves and lines that are in bad shape work great.  There is very little prep.  The chalk paint adheres to any surface!  No more stripping!  OH YEAH!  I loved that part.  And the paint is self-leveling.
- Paint your first layer color, it dries quick and you can add a second layer if you choose (I usually add 2 second layer coats.
-  Then add your top layer color.  You may need to add the second coat here.... I do.  Anyway, wait until the paint dries, at least 24 hours.  Distress to show the undercoats and maybe the wood if you have a nice piece.  Distress along areas that yours hands or feet would touch and wear the top color away.
-  Now add your clear wax in a thin layer.  Wait 24 hours and wipe any wax that may be left on the surface.  Wipe it good and use fresh cloths regularly.  Don't let your wiping cloth get gummy.
-  Now and add a second thin coat of wax.  Wait another 24 hours and wipe this coat as well.  You can stop here.
-  If you want to add the darker or white wax for antiquing here is where you do that.  Do a small area and using some of the clear wax on a cloth wipe the wax away.  This will leave the dark or light wax in the grooves and architecture of your piece.  I love it.

You won't find soft white wax anywhere that I have seen yet.  But I have it!  It will be available on my website.
You will find more in-depth how to's on my new blog or my at Shabby Chic Chalk Paints so hop over and find me there.  Tell your friends.
There will be lots of photos, how to's, and links to videos.
Thanks so much for all the loyal time you have waited.  Share you pics with me and ask me questions.  I am using all of my 25 (and more) art knowledge to make this brand successful and help you create beautiful pieces of furniture art!
Come see mine too.  Comments welcome.  I will continue to post here for a short time.
Bye for now y'all!
Deb

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by